How to Block Emails: A Comprehensive Guide
Spam emails can carry malware, act as phishing tools, and clutter your inbox. Automatic filters may be effective, but they're far from foolproof. According to Statista, in December 2021, over 45% of emails sent were spam. Blocking every rogue message aimed at your inbox is difficult. However, Clario's comprehensive security app can help detect malicious software, fraudulent emails, and phishing links before you end up in a scammer's trap.Try Clario free
Table of contents
- Can you block emails?
- How to block emails in Gmail
- How to block emails in Outlook and Hotmail
- How to block emails in Yahoo!
- How to block emails on iPhone and iPad
- How do I permanently block someone from emailing me?
- How to block emails in ProtonMail
- How to block emails in AOL
- Does a blocked sender know they are blocked?
- How to avoid getting unwanted emails
- Why am I getting unwanted emails?
- Block annoying emails without too much difficulty
Can you block emails?
Yes, you can block emails from unwanted senders and subscription lists. Each email company has its own process for blocking unsolicited messages, so we'll discuss the best methods to use for some of the more popular providers.
How to block emails in Gmail
Blocking emails in Gmail is pretty simple; all you need to do is follow the steps listed below.
- Open the unwanted email
- Click the More Options (...) button beside the sender details
- Click Block "Sender"
- Click Block to confirm when prompted, and Gmail will automatically mark the message as spam
You can view and alter your blocked senders list in Gmail by going to Settings (gear icon) > See all settings > Filters and Blocked Addresses. From here, you can unblock any entries in the list when required.
If you are an Android phone user, since your default email app is Gmail, you can also follow the steps mentioned above to block someone from your phone.
Now, in case you want to unblock the sender, simply follow the same steps. Then, instead of clicking Block, click the Unblock button instead.
How to block emails in Outlook and Hotmail
If you want to block an email on your Microsoft account, you’ll need to follow the steps below. The starting point will differ depending on your computer’s operating system.
- Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (macOS) on the unwanted email in your inbox
- Choose Security options
- Click Block
- Click OK to confirm
You can view and alter your blocked senders list in Outlook by navigating to Settings (gear icon) > View all Outlook settings > Mail > Junk email. From here, you can add new entries or delete existing addresses from the list.
How to block emails in Yahoo!
To block emails from your Yahoo account, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings (gear icon) > More settings > Security and privacy
- Click Add under Blocked addresses
- Type or paste the address you want to block and click Save
If you ever need to remove an address from the blocked senders list, you can do so by clicking the trash icon beside the appropriate entry.
How to block emails on iPhone and iPad
In iOS or iPadOS, you can block unwanted emails from a contact or within the Mail application. First, you should ensure that you've enabled the feature in Settings > Mail > Blocked Sender Options.
Block contacts and spam emails in iOS
- Add the contact and email address to the Contacts app
- Go to Settings > Mail > Blocked
- Tap Add New
- Tap the contact you want to block
Block contacts and spam emails in the iOS Mail app
- Open the spam email
- Tap the sender's address
- Tap the address again
- Hit Block this Contact
- Tap Block this Contact to confirm when prompted
In iOS, you can view and alter your blocked Mail senders list in Settings > Mail > Blocked.
Once you have stopped unwanted emails, you may also want to get rid of unwanted ads on your iPhone. Clario's ad blocker for iOS is a great choice to keep your mobile experience ad-free too.
How do I permanently block someone from emailing me?
If you have followed the steps above, you should have no problem with specific senders anymore.
How to block emails in ProtonMail
ProtonMail offers several tools for blocking unwanted emails, and that includes creating a block list. To do this:
- Select Settings
- Hit Go to settings
- Go to Proton Mail > Filters
- Select Spam filters
- Under the Block List section, select Add
- Enter the email addresses you want to add to your block list
ProtonMail also lets you move emails to the spam folder based on different parameters you set. To do this:
- Select Settings
- Click on Go to settings
- Go to Proton Mail > Filters
- Select Custom filters
- Choose Add filter
- Add the words, subjects, and conditions you want to filter out
How to block emails in AOL
AOL lets you block email senders, and the steps are straightforward.
- Go to Options > Mail Settings
- Select the Block Senders option
- Enter the email address for everyone you want to block, before hitting the Save Settings option to put them into effect
Does a blocked sender know they are blocked?
No, they won’t know if you have blocked them. They won’t receive a notification you have filtered their messages from your inbox. Their emails simply go straight to spam if they try to send you anything.
Although there is no possible way for them to know if you have blocked them, they may suspect this — especially if you’re not replying to their messages.
How to avoid getting unwanted emails
Here are some handy tips to prevent getting unwanted emails in the first place:
- Read the fine print of apps and websites’ Terms and Conditions.
Maybe you’re checking on the auto-subscribe option of these tricky text boxes.
- Only subscribe to trusted companies or websites.
If you do willingly want to get newsletters and other promotional messages, make sure these are from trustworthy brands. Reputable companies do not spam their subscribers and are less likely to be involved in a data breach.
- Don’t engage with spammers.
Maybe you will be tempted to reply to these spammers to stop sending you messages. It would be better not to agitate them.
- Use a disposable email.
Another technique tech-savvy individuals do is use another email address when they sign up to new websites. This is called a disposable email and unconnected to your personal accounts. When its security is compromised, you can simply abandon this email address and it doesn’t pose a risk to your other online accounts.
- Don’t reveal your private email address on public domain websites or social media groups.
Bots, spammers, and scanners, are always on the lookout for email addresses readily available online. If you still want to post your email address on social media, you may want to limit who can see it to select contacts.
- Get a cybersecurity software able to proactively send you alerts and protect all aspects of your digital life.
The best way to protect yourself without having to worry is by downloading robust security software that does the job for you. With Clario, for example, you can detect malicious software, fraudulent emails, and phishing links before you end up in a scammer's trap.
Try Clario by following the steps below:
2. Create an account and use our free 7-day trial
3. From the Dashboard, click on the Browsing icon
4. In Browsing, activate all the options
5. When all is done, your device will be enjoying Clario’s all-round protection. The Web protection feature will safeguard you from malicious websites containing fraud, phishing links, spam, and malware. If the app detects a threat, you will be notified.
Why am I getting unwanted emails?
Why does anyone get spammed? Good question. Here are the most common reasons why:
- You accidentally subscribed to a company’s newsletter.
- You have posted your email on a public forum or website.
- A company with details of your email was a victim of data breach.
- You have clicked on a malicious email before.
Block annoying emails without too much difficulty
If you find that you’re getting tons of annoying emails each day, you can easily filter them — regardless of the server you use. Keeping your inbox clean has several advantages, which include that you’ll probably feel less overwhelmed. And from a safety perspective, keeping things in order will stop you from downloading malicious software that could put you and your information at risk.
Now that you know how to block emails, consider signing into your account and setting up filters so you don’t have to deal with this problem as frequently.
Unwanted emails may be annoying but they can also pose risks to your digital security. Better be safe than sorry and get a cybersecurity app like Clario. We can give you peace of mind 24/7!