How to Hide Your IP Address
Every webpage you visit and every purchase you make online is tracked.
But who is following you?
For marketers, search engines, and social media, every bit of information you share - intentionally or not - is another means of controlling your online behavior.
But luckily, this can be avoided if you hide your IP address. And since you’re reading this article, chances are high you don’t know how to do this. So, let’s get you covered.
But why do you need to hide your IP address?
- Privacy. Any website you visit would not be able to know your IP address, meaning any personal details about you would be kept safe from prying eyes.
- Personal information protection. When you use a VPN, web browsing behavior is encrypted. This means no one will know which websites you have visited.
- Access to geo-blocked content. By hiding your own IP address and choosing one that bypasses this barrier, you can enjoy premium platforms such as Netflix regardless of your location when connected.
What are the ways to stay anonymous online?
The best part is that it is as easy as a,b,c. Just choose the right technology on how to hide your IP address that works for your needs.
Public Wi-Fi networks
Using public Wi-Fi is probably the easiest way to hide your IP address. This is because you use the IP address of the Wi-Fi network, which is usually shared by hundreds of users every day. But public Wi-Fi networks are risky for your security and keeping your sensitive data private.
- Free access available anywhere (airports, hotels, cafes, etc.)
- Unsecured networks are risks to your computer and personal data
- Weak connection because of the large number of other users
🤞Further reading: The Pitfalls of Public Wi-Fi Security
The main feature of Tor is to hide your digital footprints on the internet, allowing you to browse web pages and download files anonymously. Using Tor is relatively easy.
So how do you hide your IP address with Tor? You simply download and install one of the Tor browsers, which replaces Chrome, Firefox, or another browser you normally use. Everything you do in the Tor browser is private and secure.
Tor browser is available for Linux, Mac, and Windows operating systems.
- Reduces digital footprint
- No encryption to ensure the privacy and security of your data.
- Sluggish connection speed
🤞Further reading: Using Tor vs. VPN for Anonymous Browsing
Proxies are another way to mask your IP address, providing a gateway for your device to connect to restricted or filtered content. The main features and benefits of proxy servers are the availability and anonymity they offer. As long as you can trust them.
There is always a risk that the proxy server you run may be connected with a compromised computer, therefore you really can't be sure your data is safe. Another con is the sluggish speed of the internet for proxy users.
To hide your IP address on iPhone:
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Wi-Fi menu.
- Tap the name of the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to.
- Scroll down and you’ll see the HTTP Proxy option at the bottom.
- To enable proxy detection, select one of the options ‒ Manual or Auto (recommended).
To hide your IP address on Safari:
- Open Safari browser, choose Safari > Preferences, then click Advanced.
- Click Change Settings (next to Proxies) to open the network pane of System Preferences.
- Change the proxy settings using the information your network administrator provided.
- Click OK.
- Used to connect to restricted services
- Hides your IP address
- The risk of connecting to an unsecured proxy server
- Personal data is not encrypted
- Slow connection
🤞Further reading: Proxy vs. VPN: What Are the Differences?
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
If you want to get a direct, reliable, and effective way to hide your IP address, it is usually best to choose a VPN service. Choosing a secure VPN provider will give you the benefits you are looking for: complete privacy, anonymity, and access while benefiting from a fast, secure, and private connection.
To hide your IP address and location using VPN on iPhone:
- Install one of the VPN clients
- Go to Settings > General
- Select VPN menu > Choose your VPN client
- Toggle the status switch on.
To hide your IP address on Mac:
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.
- Select your VPN service in the list on the left.
- If there’s a configuration pop-up menu, click it, then choose a configuration.
- There may be only one configuration available.
- Click Connect.
- Your online privacy is safe by hiding your IP
- Data used during the connection is fully protected
- High connection speed
- VPNs are multi-platform so you can hide your IP address and location on different devices (iPhone, Mac and Windows computers, etc.)
- The better VPNs are not free
- Different websites restrict VPN use
- Using a VPN might be banned in your country
🤞Further reading: Clario VPN Is Here
* * *
There is only one way to be totally invisible on the internet – to avoid using it at all, but for most of us, this is not an option. Nevertheless, by taking fairly simple minimum necessary measures, we can increase the level of our online anonymity, protect ourselves from intrusive ads, and prevent identity theft.